After a long day, soaking in a hot tub is a great way to relax, relieve pain, and reduce stress. However, the last thing you want to see when you go to remove your spa cover is murky, smelly water. A hot tub itself can become a source of stress if not regularly treated or “shocked.” Here’s what it means to shock a hot tub and why doing so is important to its continued health.
What is Shocking?
Organic waste and bodily residue can accumulate in the hot tub after each use. Shocking the water involves the treatment of sanitizers to break-down contaminants to eliminate odor and cloudiness and restore the water’s quality and clarity.
What Chemicals are Used?
Commonly used sanitizer treatments include:
- Potassium monopersulfate (MPS)– This oxygen-based, non-chlorine shock is primarily used for regular maintenance. MPS oxidizes the water contaminants to improve water clarity and quality. Unlike chlorine, MPS produces little to no odor.
- Sodium dichlor– A chlorine that serves as both a sanitizer and as a shock, dichlor can be used to quickly correct the water quality but is primarily used as a good shock boost in combination with other non-chlorine shocks.
How Often Should You Shock?
For peak efficiency, periodic hot tub shocking is essential. It is recommended to shock at least every six months with a regular dosage of non-chlorine shock. An extra shock of dichlor, however, is recommended after refilling or restarting the hot tub, and after periods of long neglect or heavy use. If your hot tub is experiencing persistent water quality issues, consider having a professional service maintain its water quality.
Choose Us for Your Hot Tub Needs
Unique Pools, Spas, and Billiards has more than 30 years of experience, so you can trust that we understand how to improve the service life of your hot tub. Contact us today at (407) 296-6776 to speak to one of our professionals and learn more about the hot tub services we have available.